21st July 2018

Powys Fadog (1160-1284)

Powys

In 1160 the kingdom of Powys split into two parts. The northern section was called Powys Fadog and may have been ruled from an early wooden castle at Dinas Bran above Llangollen. Powys Fadog recognised [more]

Dymock Arms, Penley

Penley

Said originally to have been 2 cottages. Alternatively it might have been a single lobby-entry house, and it is shown on the 1837 Tithe map as a single dwelling. It subsequently became a public house [more]

Town Hall, Portmeirion

Emral Hall

The Town Hall – a reconstructed masterpiece. This is one of Sir Clough’s finest buildings, which was completed on the eve of the Second World War. It was claimed by Sir Clough to be the [more]

Penley Hall

Penley Hall

Penley

Penley Hall. A smallish Georgian mansion set in gardens and shrubberies with walled kitchen garden extending to 2.75 acres, along with a .337 acre pool. The hall itself contained: ground floor – large entrance hall [more]

Philip Maddocks 1816-1906

Sarn

OBITUARY OF PHILIP MADDOCKS 1816-1906 pp 26-28 Primitive Methodist Minute Book, 1907 Held in the John Rylands University Library, Manchester The Rev. Philip Maddocks was born at Sarn Bridge, in the county of Flint, on [more]

Latest

Penley Hall

Penley Hall

Penley

Penley Hall. A smallish Georgian mansion set in gardens and shrubberies with walled kitchen garden extending to 2.75 acres, along with a .337 acre pool. The hall itself contained: ground floor – large entrance hall [more]

Penley People – John Pijski Memories

Penley

John Pijski was born in Stanisław Górny, not far from Wadowice. He fought with gen. Anders’ Polish 2nd Corps (2nd. Warsaw Armoured Division) alongside the British 8th Army in Italy. Later he served in Germany [more]

Althrey Hall, Bangor On Dee

Bangor On Dee

Althrey Hall, Bangor On Dee. A stunning Grade II* listed Tudor Manor house believed to date back, originally to 1499 and believed to be one of the last surviving Aisle Trussed Halls of Wales, which [more]

The Borders in Ancient Times

Information

In ancient time, the rivers Severn and Dee separated Wales from England; but as a protection in the perpetual border frays, Offa, King of Mercia, made a dyke, which was probably in his time the [more]




Have you read?

Tallarn Green

Tallarn Green Village Hall

Tallarn Green Village Hall. Tallarn Green Village Hall (below), started life as a World War I army hut, refurbished and extended is still in regular use. Groups meeting there include the WI and Sequence Dancing. [more]

Hanmer

Hanmer

The village of Hanmer lies at the northern end of Hanmer Mere, part of the ‘Shropshire lake district’ of meres which was formed during the last ice-age. By the time of the Roman invasion (47 AD), the [more]

Bettisfield

Bettisfield Windmill and Steam Mill

Just 200 metres from the Shropshire border, stood the ruins of Bettisfield Windmill shrouded in ivy. The Windmill became redundant when the new mill was built nearby. It has since been converted. Bettisfield Windmill. The [more]