Althrey Hall, Bangor On Dee.
A stunning Grade II* listed Tudor Manor house believed to date back, originally to 1499 and believed to be one of the last surviving Aisle Trussed Halls of Wales, which is steeped in history and includes a rare private Chapel, Minstrels gallery and important decorative wall paintings, with super lawned gardens enjoying elevated views, in the heart of unspoilt countryside, on the fringes of Bangor-on-Dee racecourse.
Althrey Hall is a timber-framed mansion, described as ‘a fair house’ by Leland. It was altered through the 17th century and reconstructed with several additions in the 19th century. By the time of the 1st edition OS County series (Flint. XXII.10 1873) the house was divided into several separate units. Many additions have since been removed and the house has been reconstructed once more, this time in keeping with its original character.
This is an H-plan house with a central open hall and two storey jettied wings at either end. The hall was entered by a cross passage at the east end which has a fine aisled spere truss. Excavation showed that it had an open hearth and was built over the site of a larger aisled hall, possibly early fifteenth century. The east wing had a central passage with service rooms to either side and chambers above. This passage leads to a kitchen wing with another chamber above. The west wing had two parlours on the ground floor and chambers, including the principal chamber, above. This retains original wall paintings including a portrait of the presumed builder, Elis ap Richard, who died of ‘a horrible sickness’ in 1558, and his wife, Jane Hanmer, both in court dress.
The seventeenth century additions included a small two storey wing on the west with a chapel on the upper floor, and a two storey porch at the north end of the cross passage. The chapel has wall paintings of the Heavenly City and firmament. In this period the hall was divided into two storeys heated by fireplaces and panelling was fitted in the pricipal chamber, concealing the earlier paintings.
It is believed that the hall was once moated, but this has not been verified.
Sources: Wales Online; Rightmove; Coflien; HallsGB; British Listed Buildings.