Bryn Pys Hall, Overton, a country mansion built around 1739, went through many stages of being remodelled. It was a three storey building with a west front which had a five bay centre between 2 semi circular bows and a seven bay south front. The Georgian massing survived remodelling of the 1850’s. It was demolished in 1956.
Outbuildings: Granery: A two storey stone building with a pitched slate roof and a decorative carved stone doorway, focal point being a knights helmet at the centre of the broken pediment.
Coach house/stables. A rectangular two storey building with a gable fronted large arched doorway. A slate hipped roof and a Cupola above a rusticated arch. The stable doorway: Either side of the door are engaged Tuscan columns, these ‘support’ a scrolled pediment. In the pediment itself a dated inscription, 1739 is located.
Interior: South eastern tower entrance: A wooden floor room with a large carved stone fireplace. The bottom half of the walls are covered in wood panelling. Wood beamed ceilings. A stoned archway dates 1739 and 1884.
The country house at Bryn-y-Pys which once lay about 1.5 kilometres to the north-east of Overton, is survived by its former parkland, by its former brick-built 18th-century stable range with coachhouse and dovecote with about 80 doveboxes, together with characteristic entrance lodges, gate piers and gates. The house, then the seat of Richard Parry Price, was visited by Thomas Pennant in the 1780s when it possessed a fine collection of birds including a pair of Angolan vultures.
Sources: Hubbard, Edwards. 1986. The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Denbighshire and Flintshire). Penguin Books; CPAT.
Following images courtesy of Coflein.
Sources: Hubbard, Edwards. 1986. The Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (Denbighshire and Flintshire). Penguin Books; CPAT. Coflein.