Buck Farm, Wrexham Road, Willington.
Following the invasion by the Normans in 1066, Cheshire had remained under the control of Saxon Earl Edwin. However, in 1069 he took part in the rebellion of the north, laying siege to the King’s forces in Shrewsbury. As punishment for this Cheshire was slighted during the winter of 1069/70. The slighting army moved south from Chester, and completely laid waste the whole area of south Cheshire around Malpas. It moved south through Shropshire and killed the remaining rebels at Shrewsbury. William replaced the Cheshire landlords with his own men.
The Puleston family arrived in this country with William the Conqueror in 1066, the family first settling in Shropshire and afterwards moving to the Welsh Maelor. The estate at Emral was granted to this Anglo-Norman family in 1282.
It originated as a timber-framed house originally built in 1547, extended in the 1700’s and again in the 1800’s. It was previously used as an Inn from at least 1725 to 1923. Remains of what is said to be a cock-pit is located to the rear.
The internal timber framed partition wall to original house including part of carved door-head and section of wattle and daub which has been exposed for display. The former late 1700’s to early 1800’s stable block has been internally refurbished to form open living accommodation. Some C18 doors have strap hinges.
When Daniel Defoe made his quick and critical tour of Wales in the 1720s, the tolls were not yet in operation. He would have passed the Buck Inn at Willington on his way from Whitchurch to Bangor but he made no record of stopping at this prominent coaching inn. Perhaps the food was not as good then.
The Toll Commission for the Wrexham to Whitchurch toll road met in the former Buck Inn.
Lease for one year between Pulestons and George Mellor.
The Buck Inn, house and outbuildings, rickyard, along with land and appurtenances (or closes of land) were purchased by the Reverend George Walker from Charles Henry Rich bart of Bucks on the 11th May 1825 the sum of £180 (Lawful British Pounds) to hand with the balance of £1670 due 24th September 1825.
Tithe Map of 20th May 1840.
No: 92 Land Owner: Rev’d George Walker. Occupier: Rev’d George Walker.
Field Name: Plantation. Acres: 1.
No: 93 Land Owner: Rev’d George Walker. Occupier: Rev’d George Walker.
Field Name: Slang. Land Use: Wheat Stubble. Acres: 4. Annual Rent: 4s 6d.
No: 214 Land Owner: Rev’d George Walker. Occupier: House, Buildings and Garden, John Leadsom. Annual Rent: 1s.
Map showing land owners around Buck Farm
Externally there is a single storey with attic, multi-phase front elevation, of principal interest of which is the sub-medieval timber-framed gable with whitened brick nogging; casement windows and modern concrete tiled roof. Attached to the east side is an C18 two-storey whitewashed brick house with central porch under a slate roof with brick chimney stack to the gable end and single-storey rear lean-to. Further to the east is a late C18/early C19 lightly scantled timber-framed stable wing under slate roof with a blocked off cart entrance. To the west of the timber-framed gable is a C19 milking parlour of red brick under slate roof.
Sale of Emral Hall Estate, November 1911.
Auctioneer Frank Lloyd & Sons. Particulars include the following buildings; Bryn Hovah, house and outbuildings; Buck Farm, farmhouse and outbuildings; dairy farm at Shocklach Green; Bridge House or Lower Wern, house and outbuildings; and The Wern or Boat House.
Pictured in 1990, it shows the front access open to the main A525.