John Pijski was born in Stanisław Górny, not far from Wadowice. He fought with gen. Anders’ Polish 2nd Corps (2nd. Warsaw Armoured Division) alongside the British 8th Army in Italy. Later he served in Germany and France. He came to the UK in 1946 with the army and was sent to Penley Hospital where he worked in the transport department as a driver. He met and married Władysława (Gladys) Gruca who was in the ATS and worked as a waitress in the staff cafeteria for doctors and nurses. They had two children while living in Penley. In 1952 they sailed aboard the “Queen Elizabeth” to the USA in search of a better life. John now lives in Connecticut and sent in the following photos of his time in Penley Polish Hospital.
For further information about PENLEY, LLANERCH PANNA and ISCOYD PARK Polish Hospitals click here.
There are 2 books with further information and photos “A Millennium History of Penley” and ” The Spirit of Penley ” both written by Shirley and Derrick Pratt. Also “Penley A History of the Polish Hospital in Pictures 1946-1999” written by Keith B. Jones.
Penley Hall. A smallish Georgian mansion set in gardens and shrubberies with walled kitchen garden extending to 2.75 acres, along with a .337 acre pool. The hall itself contained: ground floor – large entrance hall [more]
Said originally to have been 2 cottages. Alternatively it might have been a single lobby-entry house, and it is shown on the 1837 Tithe map as a single dwelling. It subsequently became a public house [more]
In an effort to draw German planes away from the heavily populated and strategically important areas of Wrexham, the men of the home guard would make their way to the nearby uninhabited mountains and light [more]
Copyright (c) 2017 - 2018 Wrexham History
This function has been disabled for Young Roots Project.