Worthenbury Manor




Worthenbury Manor when it was owned by Capt. Rayner around 1911. This shows The Manor as it was before it was divided into 2 by Lord Kenyon in 1952. (Ian Taylor)

Worthenbury Manor

The Manor and Quinton.

Located off the main road through Worthenbury (B 5069) shortly before Worthenbury Bridge with views towards Hollybush Lane to the south. It is reached by a short private drive and secluded in its own grounds.

History
An extensive remodelling and enlargement of 1899-1900 of an earlier Manor on the same site for Crawshaw Wellington Puleston, a branch of the Puleston’s of Emral Hall. Architect unknown but possibly T M Lockwood & Son whose Dodleston Girls Home of 1900-01 for the Duke of Westminster bears close resemblance. The estate was inherited on the death of the Rev Sir T H Gresley Puleston in 1896 and sold after the re-modelling in 1909 by Crawshaw. Possession passed to a Captain Rainer, then Geoffrey Stevenson (a Liverpool merchant), Lord Kenyon in 1952 and the last owner before subdivision, a Mrs. Latham. Currently divided into two separate dwellings, The Manor and Quinton.

Interior
Dining Room of The Manor contains mitred wood panelling said to have come from Emral Hall but incorporating new fire-surround. Hall with large walk-in inglenook fireplace with inscription to lintel “Welcome ever smiles, but Farewell goes out sighing”. Shallow Tudor arched fireplaces to ground floor of The Manor, profile repeated in decorative scheme throughout. Most original fireplaces remain throughout together with many fixtures and fittings. Character of Quinton more Adam Revival than the Tudor Gothic of The Manor.

Worthenbury Manor seen from the east in about 1911 when it was owned by Capt. Rayner. It shows The Manor before it was divided. This view shows what is now Quinton and extending beyond is what is now The Manor. The Manor was split into two in 1952 by Lord Kenyon. (Ian Taylor)
Worthenbury Manor seen from the east in about 1911 when it was owned by Capt. Rayner. It shows The Manor before it was divided. This view shows what is now Quinton and extending beyond is what is now The Manor. The Manor was split into two in 1952 by Lord Kenyon. (Ian Taylor)

Worthenbury Manor when it was owned by Capt. Rayner around 1911. This shows The Manor as it was before it was divided into 2 by Lord Kenyon in 1952. (Ian Taylor)

Source:

 



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply